In this chapter, Paul, to his own disgust, cites his diplomas and credentials. Max Weber broke leadership down into three flavors:
- Traditional -- the village elder, the parish priest
- Bureaucratic -- the interchangeable, impersonal manager
- Charismatic -- the guy who simply looks credible. The kind of guy people want to hang around with, and wish they could be.
Paul viewed himself as a man with a commission from the King of the universe. Paul announced the glad tidings that the King had dropped in, surveyed his domain, and went on his way, leaving his servants in charge. His focus was on the King. He served the King, and wished to attach those who heard him directly to the person of the real majesty on high. Much of Paul's charisma stemmed from his integrity, his uncompromised allegiance to the One who had conscripted him into the noblest service in the universe, that is, service to the One who had created the universe.
Now, he has to deal with these bureaucratic bunglers who have no visible loyalty to the King, but are obsessed with their own positions. He thought he'd instructed the Corinthians better about the things that really mattered, and here they were, running after con artists with slicker sales pitches. After enumerating his credentials, his diplomas, his certifications, and even his mystical experiences, Paul comes to the bottom line. As the first sentence in Rick Warren's book The Purpose Driven Life puts it, "It's not about you." Next to his mission, and the King who'd commissioned him, Paul was insignificant. And he appreciated the painful "reality check" that God had given him, to help him maintain his perspective:
- 2Co 12:7 Aldığım vahiylerin üstünlüğüyle gururlanmayayım diye bana bedende bir diken, beni yumruklamak için Şeytan'ın bir meleği verildi, gururlanmayayım diye.
2Co 12:8 Bundan kurtulmak için Rab'be üç kez yalvardım.
2Co 12:9 Ama O bana, "Lütfum sana yeter. Çünkü gücüm, güçsüzlükte tamamlanır" dedi. İşte, Mesih'in gücü içimde bulunsun diye güçsüzlüklerimle sevinerek daha çok övüneceğim.
- Bundan -- Concerning this
- kurtulmak -- to deliver, to save.
- için -- in order to
- Rab'be -- to the Lord
- üç kez -- three times
- yalvardım -- I begged
- Lütfum -- My grace
- yeter. -- suffices
- Çünkü -- because
- gücüm -- my strength
- güçsüzlükte -- in weakness
- tamamlanır -- is made perfect