Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day and night (Psalm 42)

I enjoy using the e-Sword software provided, free, by Rick Meyers. You can have the Bible on your computer desktop in dozens of different translations, most free, some copyrighted versions for a nominal fee. Little tabs let you select the language of interest. The Parallel feature lets you view several versions simultaneously. This has made it much easier for me to read the Turkish version -- a glance over to the English in the left column helps me puzzle out words that may have drifted out of memory. The compact efficiency of Turkish continues to amaze and delight. Consider, for example, Psalm 42:8 --
8 Gündüz RAB sevgisini gösterir, Gece ilahi söyler, dua ederim Yaşamımın Tanrısı'na.

8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
Let's parse these beautiful words:
  • Gündüz -- Daily
  • RAB -- the LORD
  • sevgisini -- His love
  • gösterir, -- sends
  • Gece -- By night
  • ilahi söyler, -- singing psalms, hymns
  • dua ederim -- praying
  • Yaşamımın -- of my life
  • Tanrısı'na. -- to the God
Waking or sleeping, we are steeped in the care and attention of a loving Creator.

No comments: